Ants are one of the most common pests encountered in Tampa, FL homes. Considering there are over 700 species of ant in the country, this isn't too surprising. Fortunately, not all 700 are in Tampa, which gives people a break. However, the most common species you'll encounter includes but aren't limited to:
- Carpenter Ants: This ant is about 5/8 of an inch in length and loves to make its home in damp wood, but will also target other wood. Carpenter ants are the most destructive ant when it comes to property damage.
- Red Imported Fire Ants: This species can grow up 3/4 of an inch in length and is known for its red body color and painful sting. You can detect them outside by observing a large mound-shaped nest.
- Pavement Ants: These are tiny, black ants that nest in pavement cracks or inside buildings if you're close enough to paved areas.
- Pharaoh Ants: This ant is capable of transmitting various infections such as Staphylococcus and Pseudomonas when invading hospitals or nursing homes.
What Causes Ant Infestations
Most of the time, ants get inside strictly because they can. They are tiny enough to fit in through nearly anything, which is why they're found inside so often. Specific ways they get inside include:
- Compromised Screens And Door Sweeps: When door sweeps or window screens are compromised, the ants will literally walk right inside your home.
- Gaps And Holes: Any crack, hole, or crevice around the perimeter of your home is fair game for ants to get in the house through.
- Piping And Wiring: If pipes or wires are running through your home but the space between the wall and said pipes or wires are too big, then ants can get in through this manner as well.
Easy Prevention Tips To Implement
Controlling ant populations is much more difficult than prevention. For this reason, we've put together three easy prevention tips to implement for an edge in creating an ant-free environment. Our three tips are:
- Eliminate Water Sources: Ants won't stick around if they don't have easy access to water. For this reason, you'll want to remove all accessible water sources from the property. This includes checking for standing water, leaking pipes, clogged gutters, and other sources. Don't be afraid to invest in a dehumidifier to dry out the air in your home as well.
- Remove Food Sources: Next to water, ants really like eating your food and pet food. They are especially fond of fattening foods and sweet foods. The best way to not have to worry about this is to practice proper food storage and to cover any food not being consumed immediately if outdoors.
- Wipe Away The Trail: Ants carry food and water back to their colony. They can get away with this because they leave behind a pheromone trail to follow their way back. As such, you can have a huge infestation on your hands if not handled quickly. Use soap, water, and cleaners to remove the pheromones so they don't find their way back.
Effective Ant Control With Bold Servicing
Fortunately, ants aren't the worst pests to come across except maybe the carpenter ants. However, the sheer size of their colonies and willingness to invade makes them a pest that needs immediate removal. That's why our team at Bold Servicing has created an ant control program that works. We work with you to take care of the ant problems of today and place the necessary measures to ensure they don't come back. If you suspect an ant problem, give our team at Bold Servicing a call to discuss your options.